Total Pageviews

Tuesday, November 17, 2015

Reflect, Recharge, Refocus

This past Friday I was doing treatment and taping athletes prior to our game when one of my football players asked me why I listen to music and don't talk very much on game days.  My initial reply was, "I don't know, it's just what I have always done.  I like to focus on game days" As he nodded and continued on his way I stopped and thought about it, why do I do things the way I do? The answer, it's the way I was brought up.  Not by my parents but by my athletic training mentors.  And this is where it got really intriguing to me, I realized that although I never thought about it or planned it this way, I have adopted a series of my different mentors methods. 

When I was in high school, I had the privilege to work under the instruction of Past President and SWATA Hall of Famer Randy Day.  On Fridays, before we would pile into the old BISD delivery truck and travel over to Hopper Field, Randy would close his office door, turn out the lights and simply refocus in the quiet for a few minutes.  During my time in undergrad at Sam Houston State University I worked under Vance Pickard. On games days you always saw him with his Discman (oh how far we've come) in his back pocket with his headphones on.  It was obvious from my experiences that focus was the mantra.  It was respected.  In fact it was demanded.  

Last Friday, when my student asked me why I get so quiet, why I listen to my music and don't talk much, it made me stop and reflect on the way I am and why.  What I ultimately came up with is that in spite of the high paced, always connected society that we live in today, I still yearn for some of the old school focus that was once revered.  This was ingrained in me by my mentors and it served them well.  Today, I continue this practice on a regular basis.  Each game day between the end of school and before I begin treatments I sit in my office with the lights out, without interruption and refocus.  When I begin treatments or while I'm taping athletes I put my earbuds in and listen to music in an effort to keep my focus.  I focus on the upcoming event, the athlete that I need to pay extra attention to for one reason or another, and how an on field emergency will be handled.  I focus on being the best AT I can be and the AT that my athletes depend on me to be.    

As we quickly approach the Thanksgiving holiday I find myself, now more than ever, extremely thankful for my various mentors.  I would not be who I am without their guidance, leadership and example.  As I continue to reflect on my formative years I think of all those who came before me during the formative years of Athletic Training.  People like Billy Pickard, Paul Zeek, Al Wilson, James Dodson and so many others whose mentorship formed this great profession and have guided us to where we are today, I am thankful.  

The few minutes I spent reflecting on this brought back so many memories and took me on a quick yet amazing journey.  But most importantly, it reminded me just how thankful I am for the experiences I've had and the mentors who guided me along the way.  As you spend time with your family to rest, recharge and refocus this Thanksgiving holiday I encourage each and everyone of you to take a moment to reflect on your formative years.  Look back through your experiences and consider why it is you do the things you do.  I hope that you will find the time to let someone who guided and mentored you know just how thankful you are.  

I am thankful for each of you and what you do for our great profession.  I wish you all the best for a wonderful and restful holiday.



Josh Woodall; M.Ed., ATC, LAT 
SWATA President


No comments:

Post a Comment