Total Pageviews

Friday, April 15, 2016

Guest Blogger: Michelle Vryhof Holt

The SWATA blog is excited to introduce Michelle Vryhof Holt as our most recent guest blogger. Michelle Vryhof Holt is the athletic trainer at Chisholm Trail High School. She is also the D6 NATAPAC Director. She gives us some great insight on transitioning from her role at NATA, as well as the importance of the NATAPAC. Thanks Michelle!

     It has been almost two years since leaving employment in the NATA office. I look back and can hardly believe what an amazing experience it was to pave the way in a new position that became so involved in key projects. I REALLY liked working at NATA and the decision to go back to work in “the trenches” was hard to make. During my time there I was deeply inspired by the SSATC and also empathized with their struggles in the secondary school. All the while, I didn’t feel I could be fully effective in working for this large population of athletic trainers until I had gone through it myself and stood in those shoes. So, I jumped in.
     The transition from full-time office back to full-time AT wasn’t as difficult as I thought it would be. After many late nights I definitely have missed the regular hours and flexibility. The hot topics like our value, quality of life, perception and support of ATs are all still as real as they are at NATA. However, the perspective I gained helps me do my best to stay positive for the future. The profession is much bigger than one person or group of ATs, but with the same breath there are also so many other ATs out there dealing with similar difficulties. We can’t forget that there are significant resources to help us, both in writing and through people. I am so impressed in what NATA is doing to create tools for us and to support us. I am confident there will be even more great things to come.
     Something else I keep in mind is sincere and grateful appreciation for staff and volunteers within our organization. Amazing things are accomplished because of incredible sacrifices of volunteers, in leadership and grassroots efforts alike. Having seen all of the intricate gears of the association turning from the inside, I can’t ever take for granted the hard work of all our many volunteers and what they help NATA produce.  In addition, we have an outstanding staff at NATA of more than 30 professionals who are contributing as experts in their own field for the operation of our association. They work so hard for us. Having worked with them and built relationships, I can strongly testify for our need to trust them. Our leaders and staff make the best decisions they can to help ATs and our profession.
     For me, this trust ties into giving back to the profession. We give a lot of ourselves in our jobs, but our association needs our support in contributing to the NATAPAC and The Foundation. Donating hard earned money is a leap of faith because you don’t necessarily “see it” once you give or witness the effects of your gifts immediately. But, this act of good will is necessary to keep us moving forward and we have to trust our leadership to do the right thing with our investments. It is hard to ask ATs to give more than they already do, but even a little bit from every member goes a long way.
     I am so thankful for the all the ATs that are willing to continue going above and beyond. I hope you all are able to carry on the good work and “keep the faith.”

Sincerely,
Michelle Vryhof Holt, MA, ATC, LAT
D6 NATAPAC Director
Chisholm Trail High School


No comments:

Post a Comment