Total Pageviews

Monday, July 21, 2014

A note from Mitzi Laughlin, Former President of SWATA

Mitzi Laughlin, former SWATA President, recognized for her service by incoming SWATA President, David Gish


SWATA members, in my last action as SWATA President, I would like to say a few words of reflection. First, I should express my gratitude to SWATA members for giving me the opportunity to be President and thank the current and past board members that I have worked with. I have been on the SWATA Executive Board for the past 11 years: 7 as District Secretary, 2 as Vice President and concluding with my 2 years as President. And before SWATA there was the GHATS Advisory Committee. Thank you to my mentors and friends. There are too many to mention here but you know who you are. 

Friends have asked me this week, do you feel you accomplished your goals as SWATA President. And the answer is an overwhelming yes. My goals going into the Presidency were to find out what the real issues in athletic training are. We accomplished this by going out to the regional meetings and talking with folks. Questions were answered, and some issues were solved. But many issues were work issues with local employers. SWATA and NATA have resources to help with these issues, but athletic trainers must stand up for themselves and do what is right. Do what is right for the athletes, the patients, and also do what’s right for your family and yourself. Sometimes the hardest thing for an athletic trainer to say is NO, but sometimes it’s the right thing to say. 

Another goal of my Presidency was to find folks eager to serve the association give them the tools and authority to succeed and then get out of the way and let them do it. We have a great group of committee chairs that we have heard from today and an even larger number of committee members. The greatest resource of SWATA is our people. We have many dedicated athletic trainers that want to make this profession better. Not just better for themselves, but better for the next generation of athletic trainers. 

Another goal of my Presidency was to keep our annual meeting strong. Keep the annual meeting strong by moving it around the district. 2015 Houston, 2016 Arlington and 2017 we will be headed to San Marcos. This week has been great here in Frisco. We have unveiled some new things this week. David Reed and Cody Jenschke put on an excellent awards ceremony this morning. Jamie Woodall and her committee had a first-rate party to celebrate the 60th anniversary of SWATA. Yes 60 years and SWATA is strong. 

SWATA, today, is in a good position. Financially we are sound. Our committees and especially our committee chairs work harder and have a passion for their jobs like no others. So in reflection, I am proud of where SWATA has been and where we are headed, and especially proud that I was able to be a part of it. 

THANK YOU.

Mitzi

No comments:

Post a Comment